BEGINNING OF MAY WAS THE THEATRE OF AN INTERNATIONAL EVENT IN WICH WE PROUDLY CONTRIBUTE. HELD IN MONTREAL, THE FIRST EDITION OF ”COMING TO YOUR SCREENS” OR CTYS, WAS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR CONTENT CREATION PROFESSIONALS TO EXCHANGE WITH THE ULTIMATE REFERENCES IN THAT DOMAIN. ONE CONFERENCE AFTER THE OTHER, HE APPEARS IMPORTANT TO US TO COME BACK ON ONE OF THE MOST EVOCATED THEME : TRANSMEDIA.
You are familiar with the term? If not, don’t think it’s just another fancy technologic word coming from the audio-visual world. Transmedia is gradually seen as an essential component of strategy communication for company of all sizes. What is transmedia? How does it work? See for yourself.
Transmedia is actually a marketing strategy that has existed since the 90s, but has exploded in the last 10 years thanks to ICT.The idea is to articulate the universe of a brand or a company on different media or publicity platforms. The pionneers in transmedia are the movies/video games producers. Actualy, they were dispersing elements of a film on several other media platforms in order to make an even more immersive experience for the fans (comics about the origins of the characters for The Matrix bonus web-series for the video game series Assassin’s Creed).
Now used by several branches in the industry , transmedia can be defined as :
– A communication tool : you not anymore communicating on a single product, but on all your corporate image . Take the example of the publicity for Happy Factory, the brand creates a world that spans in different media platforms while remaining consistent .
– A challenge for companies : consumers are increasingly mobile and this change in their behavior has reduced the average time of consumers’ attention, it is now limited to a few seconds . To mark the spirits and make it with originality and relevance , that’s the keys to prosperity in the 2.0 world.
– A factor of demarcation : the term transmedia is relatively little known by business leaders at the moment, so this is a great way to distinguish themselves from others by making them easily identifiable to consumers.
We’ve found some midly convincing arguments in a constantly changing industry , but now let’s see how you can adopt this concept in your business.
What does it take ?
There is multiple ways of doing transmedia, but they all requires the same ressources; adequate support, corresponding platforms and some personnal skills.
– Sharing platforms : television and radio are obviously exploitable platforms for transmedia . But with the digital era, content delivery channels are more diverse : Your playing field is wider than ever .
– Media : Transmedia is a means of mass communication , media platforms must be as well : what about a mobile application ? Videos? A Blog ? Or a book? Choose the right media support for your company and your target.
– Personnal Skills : Creativity is indeed a very fundamental component in transmedia. However, it is important that this creativity doesn’t blind you from your main goal wich is bringing in new clients. For this, we must also be attentive to market trends , expectations of your customers, but also of your own business. Listening, understanding and taking action is all it takes you.
How to do it
Element at the heart of transmedia , the branded content or sponsored content , is the most suitable way for companies who wish to develop their communication in this regard. Here are three steps to follow in order to implement an effective strategy.
Develop original content : interactive advertising , diverted videos, etc. . Surprise your customers ! You will make them want to know more about you and to go see what are your other communicative efforts. Companies must change their view of the consumer: talking about your product features is not enough anymore, now we must entertain to sell. We have the perfect example for this , do you know the brand Tipp -Ex ? The hunter and the bear.
Involve your public: listening and understanding the expectations of the target audience are two major factors for business survival . The solution ? Let your customers speak , make them key players rather than spectators! Have you heard of this famous brand which sought creative public asking them to imagine the rest of his chips advertising ? That’s what sponsored content is all about.
Use all necessary sharing platforms : Yep , this term comes up again and again: social networks … You have your hyper original content? You invite consumers to participate on your site? Multiply your visibility and relay everything on social networks , kingdom of sharing, interactivity and therefore buzz. See our articles on this subject here.
It’s your turn!
In this era of digital instantaneity, sharing streaming content is essential to keep your audience interest. This is 360 ° vision. You must not be forgotten, you need to be remembered. People must be informed tirelessly and you must be constantly present.
Although companies who have already used the transmedia in their communication plans all seem to overflow with imagination, changing media tools announces an unlimited diversity on marketing strategy available to companies.
Whatever the size of your business, you can now transcend the media, be everywhere at all times. Ready to go the next step in your communication? On your marks. Ready? Create